A Certificate of Status (COS – also referred to as Certificate of Good Standing) indicates that the applicant is in good standing. For South African registered healthcare practitioners, the COS will be issued by the HPCSA as registration authority. For foreign registered practitioners, the COS will be issued by the healthcare authority where the applicant is currently registered.
To apply for COS through the HPCSA, a practitioner will need to meet the requirements below.
- Practitioner needs to be registered with the HPCSA or have been voluntary erased from the register.
- No complaint pending against the name of practitioner.
- The practitioner will need to:
- The certificated COS document will be issued by the HPCSA’s Department of Legal Services and Registrations.
- In terms of section 23 of the Health Professions Act, 1974 (Act No. 56 of 1974) the Registrar may only issue an HPCSA COS document to:
- Registered practitioners (registration status must be active and up to date).
- Practitioners whose registration have that are expired as they have limited registration.
- Practitioners’ voluntary erased from the register.
- There are several types of endorsements – see below.
- Some authorities accept electronic certificates while others require original documentation – see list below.
- Should the applicant require original documentation; they need to include and addition courier costs in their application fee– see below.
- Should the application meet the requirements, the HPCSA will issue the COS certificate within 10 working days.
- All correspondence around COS applications must be directed to the firstname.lastname@example.org email address.
- If no courier fee is paid, the certificate will be sent electronically, and the original filed at the HPCSA.
- The certificate of status is valid for 6 months from the date of issue.
In cases where a practitioner is not in good standing, the Registrar will issue an endorsed certificate of status with details of the endorsement. Request will only be finalized once we have received clearance from our legal department.
Types of endorsement
- A person’s registration under this Act;
- Whether or not the person is disqualified in part or totally from practicing his or her profession;
- Whether or not any steps pertaining to unprofessional conduct are pending against the person concerned at the time of the issuing of the certificate;
- Whether or not the person concerned was, in the past, found guilty of any unprofessional conduct, and if so:
- The date of such finding;
- The nature of such unprofessional conduct;
- The penalty imposed;
- Whether or not the person concerned has been found to be impaired and, if so:
- The date of such finding; and
- The nature of the conditions of registration and practice that may be in place at the time of the issuing of the certificate.
Regulator eligibility list
Herewith a list of foreign regulators and their position on the eligibility of electronic copies of HPCSA COS documents:
- United Kingdom:
- Accept: General Medical Council (GMC), Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and most other regulatory bodies in the UK.
- Do not accept: General Dental Council (GDC)
- New Zealand:
- Accept: Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ) and all other bodies.
- Do not accept: New Zealand Dental Council (NZDC)
- Accept: All Colleges of Physicians and Surgeons in Canada (CPSA, CPSBC, CPSPEI, CPSNS, CPSS, CPSNB, CPSO etc) and other regulatory bodies in Canada.
- Accept: Qatar Medical Council
- Saudi Arabia:
- Accept: Saudi Commission of Health Specialties (SCFHS)
- Accept: BIG Netherlands
- Accept: The Spanish Medical Colleges Organization (Organización Médical Colegial or OMC)
- United Kingdom:
|Professional Board||COS Fee||IDC Fee||Certified Extract Fee||Credentials Verification Fee|
|1. Medical and Dental||R719.00||R719.00||R719.00||R719.00|
|2. Dental Therapy and Oral Hygiene||R486.00||R486.00||R486.00||R486.00|
|4. Emergency Care||R471.00||R471.00||R471.00||R471.00|
|5. Environmental Health||R532.00||R532.00||R532.00||R532.00|
|6. Occupational Therapy, Medical Orthotics, Prosthetics and Arts Therapy||R470.00||R470.00||R470.00||R470.00|
|7. Optometry and Dispensing Opticians||R529.00||R529.00||R529.00||R529.00|
|8. Physiotherapy, Podiatry, and Biokinetics||R507.00||R507.00||R507.00||R507.00|
|10. Radiography and Clinical Technology||R507.00||R507.00||R507.00||R507.00|
|11. Speech, Language, and Hearing||R501.00||R501.00||R501.00||R501.00|
|12. Medical Technology||R503.00||R503.00||R503.00||R503.00|
- Account name: HPCSA
- Bank: ABSA
- Branch: ARCADIA
- Branch code: 334945
- Account number: 0610000169
- Reference number: Applicants HPCSA registration number
- E-mail Proof of Payment to: email@example.com
- For deposits outside SA, please use the Swift address: ZAJJ.
- Use your registration number as the reference number on the deposit slip.
- Above-mentioned fees are valid from 1 April until 31 March of the following year.
Last Updated on 18 August 2022 by HPCSA Corporate Affairs