Practitioners can request a refund from the HPCSA in the event of overpayment or duplication of payment by their employer.
A refund usually refers to the reimbursement of funds to a client for the following reasons:
- Duplicate or extra payment – Should a practitioner realise that they have paid double the required amount, he/she has the right to request a refund from the HPCSA. However, the practitioner has to provide proof of such a duplication.
- Exempted – A practitioner who reaches the age of 71 before 01 April of the current year is exempted from paying the annual fees.
- Exempted due to ill health – A practitioner who is unable to practise due to ill health, may request a refund from the HPCSA. A medical report, issued by a medical practitioner, must accompany such application.
- Deceased – A family member may request a refund on behalf of the deceased practitioner, should this be before 1 April of the current year.
- Unable to register (due to insufficient qualifications)
- Erased – Practitioners who have been erased by the HPCSA due to unprofessional conduct, may request for a refund should this be before 1 April of the current year.
Required documentation for requesting a refund
Supporting documents for requesting a refund are the following:
- Original stamped or certified copy of a letter from the bank or the original or certified copy of a cancelled cheque.
- Copy of ID or passport
- Proof of payments as no refunds will be issued without them
Below are the processes of obtaining a refund:
- Practitioners must submit their application form for refund by email, fax, mail or walk-in.
- Ensure that all documents required are submitted, this will eliminate any delays.
- Analyse debtors account and ensure that all the deposits are showing on debtors account.
- Should the HPCSA determine that a refund is not payable, an HPCSA employee will contact the practitioner to inform if a refund will not be successful.
- If a refund is payable, the HPCSA will process the refund.
- Some of the HPCSA services are automated, which means you can check your status and download invoices and proof of registration through their online portal.
- Visit the HPCSA self-service portal at https://hpcsaonline.custhelp.com/ should you have any questions.
Last Updated on 13 June 2022 by HPCSA Corporate Affairs