The maintenance of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is one of the requirements of HPCSA registration. Going forward practitioners will need to manage their CPD status through the HPCSA portal. In this article, we advise on how to use the online portal for CPD submissions, frequently asked questions, guidelines, and who to ask should you have any questions.
Please note that the HPCSA no longer accept CPD certificates by e-mail as we have migrated to a new CPD system/online portal.
Practitioners are required to accumulate Continuing Education Units (CEUs) per twelve-month period; including the ethics, human rights and medical law. Each CEU will be valid for 24 months from the date on which the activity took place (or ended, in the event of post-graduate studies) after which it would lapse. This means that practitioners should aim to accumulate a balance of 60 CEUs by the end of their second year of practise, and thereafter top-up the balance through additional CPD as each 24 –month validity period expires.
Mandatory random audits are conducted to ensure compliancy. Once a practitioner’s name has been selected, they are required to submit a CPD portfolio to Council within 21 days. Non-compliant practitioners will be given six months in order to comply. After the period of 6 months a practitioner will again be audited and if there is still non-compliance, the Professional Board will consider appropriate action. Practitioners are only required to submit their CPD portfolios when their names are drawn from a random sample audit and when requested to submit their completed form CPD 1 IAR with accompanying proof of CPD activities undertaken.
Practitioners can manage their HPCSA registration online. The portal allows registered members to check their status, pay and download proof of registration. To use the HPCSA portal practitioners first need to register by following the process below.
2. Click on Online services and the below page will be displayed.
3. Please note All registered practitioners has been assigned accounts please do not create a new account. If a practitioner has not logged on the portal before click on the login or sign up button.
4. If a practitioner has logged in before He\She must capture the username and password.
5. Click on the Forgot username or Password link
6. Type Practitioner ID number or passport below Username and click on the button Reset My password. An email will be sent to the registered email address and an SMS will be sent to the registered cell number.
7. If you don’t receive any communication click on the ‘Recover Account’ button.
8. You will receive an email or SMS with a link to reset your password. Enter your password and verify it. For security reasons, we recommend a strong password containing letters, symbols and numbers like ‘#Password1’.
9. After successful login the below page will be displayed.
10. Click on ‘Online Services’ and click on ‘CPD Update Request’.
11. Capture the required details and attach applicable documents.
12. Click the ‘Submit Question Button’ and note the reference number.
13. To check If the request has been resolved. Click on ‘Support History’.
Direct your question through the HPCSA portal as outlined in step 12 above. Should you experience any problems accessing the HPCSA portal send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (+27) 12 338 9300/01. Please use your 7 digit HPCSA registration number as reference.
Last Updated on 12 Apr 2021 by HPCSA Corporate Affairs